A Few Mindfulness Exercises to try today
- Mindful Breathing: This exercise can be done standing up or sitting down, and pretty much anywhere at any time. All you have to do is be still and focus on your breath for just one minute, while breathing in & out slowly.
- Mindful Observation: This exercise is simple but incredibly powerful. Choose a natural object from within your immediate environment and focus on watching it for a minute or two.
- Mindful Awareness: This exercise is designed to cultivate a heightened awareness and appreciation of simple daily tasks and the results they achieve.Think of something that happens every day more than once; something you take for granted, like opening a door, for example.At the very moment you touch the doorknob to open the door, stop for a moment and be mindful of where you are, how you feel in that moment and where the door will lead you.Instead of going through your daily motions on autopilot, take occasional moments to stop and cultivate purposeful awareness.
- Mindful Listening:This exercise is designed to open your ears to sound in a non-judgmental way. So much of what we see and hear on a daily basis is influenced by our past experiences, but when we listen mindfully, we achieve a neutral, present awareness that lets us hear sound without preconception.The idea is to just listen, to become fully entwined with the composition of the music without preconception or judgment of the genre, artist, lyrics or instrumentation.
- Mindful Immersion: The intention of this exercise is to cultivate contentment in the moment and escape the persistent striving we find ourselves caught up in on a daily basis. Rather than anxiously wanting to finish an everyday routine task in order to get on with doing something else, take that regular routine and fully experience it like never before. Become aware of every step and fully immerse yourself in the progress.Take the activity beyond a routine by aligning yourself with it physically, mentally and spiritually.
- Mindful Appreciation: The point of this exercise is to simply give thanks and appreciate the seemingly insignificant things in life; the things that support our existence but rarely get a second thought amidst our desire for bigger and better things.Once you have identified your 5 things, make it your duty to find out everything you can about their creation and purpose to truly appreciate the way in which they support your life
Practice & Enjoy your day!